Today I came into the office in hopes of re-creating the below report using SQL Server. First I thought it might be nice to upload a table into my local DB that had the list of departments at the location requested for creating the patient list.
First, I couldn’t connect to the local server. It was basically the same error as I got on my windows 10 computer at home, except this was my windows 7 computer at work. Thankfully, a facebook friend’s dad was able to help me figure out the issue. It turned out I needed to turn on TCP/IP and Named Pipes in the SQL Server Configuration Manager, and then restart the SQL Server Service. Yay!
But I still can’t seem to be able to get a query to work which uses tables in my local db and tables in the big server. I read that I needed to create a linked server, so I liked the big server to my local database in the “Server Objects” but I still haven’t found how to write a query in which fields from tables in both places don’t end up with invalid object names. So today – today was mostly frustration. The possibilities are exciting and I learned how to do some neat stuff, but I didn’t get to do the things I had hoped to do.