Struggles with Scientific Notation

I inserted an id that was made of a long string of numbers that imported as a “float” datatype into a varchar field when I added it to an existing table. Somehow when I did this, the number changed from a string of numbers to scientific notation.

EG. 10018507001 turned into 1.00185e+010 in a varchar field.

I haven’t resolved this, but I wanted to make note that it happened.

Instead, as deadlines are involved, I found a way to retroactively patch this data back into the field. I actually used Access to do this – importing the table, creating a text field, updating it with the float numeric data from the original file, and then re-importing the table to run the remaining queries I needed to run in SQL.

 

Advertisements