Struggles with Scientific Notation

I inserted an id that was made of a long string of numbers that imported as a “float” datatype into a varchar field when I added it to an existing table. Somehow when I did this, the number changed from a string of numbers to scientific notation.

EG. 10018507001 turned into 1.00185e+010 in a varchar field.

I haven’t resolved this, but I wanted to make note that it happened.

Instead, as deadlines are involved, I found a way to retroactively patch this data back into the field. I actually used Access to do this – importing the table, creating a text field, updating it with the float numeric data from the original file, and then re-importing the table to run the remaining queries I needed to run in SQL.

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s